Hip replacement surgery is a common surgical technique to relieve the patients suffering from severe arthritis of the hip joint. It is primarily considered as a last resort by most orthopedic surgeons for the effective treatment of hip joint arthritis. During this procedure, the painful hip joint is replaced with an artificial joint implant that is made up of metal and plastic. Initially, the surgery was considered mainly for patients belonging to the age group of 60 and above; but with advancement in surgical techniques and innovations in technology, these days, the hip replacement surgery is being also carried out on patients belonging to all age groups.
Hip replacement surgery in India nowadays has been gaining popularity amongst the top orthopedic surgeons with it being the most economical procedure for the treatment of hip joint disorders. The availability of experts and the allied technological innovations particularly in the field of joint replacement surgeries has converted India into a hub for orthopedic surgeries for medical tourists and the focal point of health tourism India largely. With many medical tourism companies in India mushrooming in every nook and cranny of the subcontinent, it has been analyzed that medical tourists coming to India can save up to 50 to 70% of cost of undergoing joint replacement surgery in comparison to the countries they belong to. The cost that a medical tourist needs to spend in India has been estimated to be around $6000 whereas the same will cost around $39000 in US. In addition to this cost benefit, the availability of experts in this domain and the success rate of the surgical outcomes in India have acted like the brownie points for medical tourists coming to India contemplating joint replacement. Thus, the highest quality of healthcare, affordability, and access to quality healthcare providers has let the medical tourism companies to flourish well in India.
Some Lifestyle Restrictions after the Hip Replacement Surgery
Undoubtedly, doctors are considered as the life saviors, but a fraction of effort is also expected by the patients and their Kith and Keen’s. To achieve the complete benefits of the hip replacement surgery, it is essential that the patient should alter their lifestyle to certain extent by restricting or modifying a few ADLs/activities of daily living. These restrictions and modifications will help prevent future problems associated with placement of hip implants. The implant is just an imitation of the original hip; hence, these implants carry a high likelihood of dislocation of the ball and socket joint. Thus, a few positions are to be avoided by the patient during the course of recovery for best surgical outcomes.
- After undergoing the hip replacement surgery, the patient should not cross his legs. This should be particularly taken into consideration while wearing a socks or shoes or while in a sitting position.
- The patient should not be allowed to bend the hip more than 90°. To be in a safe position, it is essential for the patient to always keep the knee below the hip joint level. The same can be achieved by using a cushion underneath to raise the seat level while driving a car or sitting. Even, certain devices are available that can be used to elevate the toilet seats.
- The patient should not be allowed to sleep on the affected side. This will help minimize stress on the replaced hip joint.
- A pillow should be placed in between the legs to keep the level of the hip in position, but it is always wise to follow the instructions from the surgeon.
- If the patient has undergone total hip replacement by the posterior approach, it is always necessary that the patient should completely restrict pigeon-toed walking. This in turn will avoid internal rotation of the hip and reduces the chances of hip dislocation. In this process, the patient should keep the toes straight ahead or may rotate slightly outwards while lying, sitting or standing.
The easiest way to maintain a healthy lifestyle after replacement is by adhering to the instructions provided by the surgeon as well as the physiotherapist. The trade off of hip replacement is to relieve the pain, but it can be achieved only if hip precautions are followed carefully and without fail.
India Medical Center is a platform that helps medical tourists to avail treatments at the top-notch hospitals gemmed with modern and advanced technologies at the most affordable prices. The duty does not end here; IMC also maintains a healthy relationship with the clients even after the treatment and provide necessary assistance to overcome post-treatment complexities. If you are seeking joint replacement surgery in India, IMC would be your ideal go-to place!